Friday, June 3, 2011

Week 3

In class this week we discussed The Akans in Ghana. I learned that the Akans believe in God, spirits, dwarfs and ancestors. I found it very interesting that they had so many different spiritual beliefs. Their idea of conception was most interesting to me; they think that the male spirit mingles with the woman's blood during conception. As a woman I was particularly interested in the woman's rite of passage. They are paraded naked in the streets while the men watch. I cannot imagine having to do this, I would be so embarrassed! Although, this is a valued part of their culture, which I understand. Also in class we discussed the book Femail Ritual Servitude. I was happy to share my thoughts about the book with my fellow classmates and to find that they shared the same horror. I feel so awful for those women who had to endure the Trokosis and I cannot imagine being in their place. I am happy that people are relieving those women of their pain and suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment